Base Camp is a unique wilderness experience, limited to only 12 guests per week. The camp is surrounded by a beautiful mountain vista in the heart of the Skeena Heliskiing's tenure where it is in close proximity to the largest variety of runs (Glacier, tree skiing, glades), all within a few minutes flight.
• Unique tent constellation - Base Camp includes one large communal tent, one shower tent and six guest tents to accommodate up to 12 guests in total.
• All tents are a dome construction, a system that has been proven to work in all winter conditions.
• Fly-in fly-out location.
• Base Camp is a non-permanent structure, thus leaving no trace. It is our philosophy to preserve this pristine wilderness, which is all part of the SHBC experience.
• All waste products are flown out and compostable toilets are used to minimize environmental impact..
• Base Camp builds upon years of experience of Skeena Heliskiing's main operation, ''Bear Claw Lodge'', providing one of the world’s best heliskiing products.
• Skeena Heliskiing’s main operation “Bear Claw Lodge” is operating at the same time as Base Camp, and is only 12 minutes away via helicopter. The Base Camp operation is supported by the “Bear Claw Lodge” to maximize safety and optimize supply transfers and guest shuttles.
• The Base Camp location has been tested for several years by Skeena Heliskiing and has been voted as one of the best heliskiing locations in the tenure, by both guests and guides alike. The first runs are only one minute away from basecamp and there is the option to ski back to Basecamp at the end of the day.
Base Camp - What to expect
Tent living? A lot of people are asking the following questions, this is what to expect:
• Double accommodation only, no singles. Each guest tent houses 2 guests and includes: 2 rustic wood frame beds, wool duvets and a night stand.
• Each tent has a thermostat controlled heater and is easily adjusted to your desired sleeping temperature.
• Every person receives a portable black diamond lamp to use in their tent.
• The main “Freedome” is the heart of the camp, and provides a large communal area with lounge, dining area and bar.
• The shower tent has two shower units and sinks with an “On Demand” water heating system.
• Two outdoor toilets.
Our BaseCamp Package offers:
• 18'000 Vert. meters of skiing
• 1 UIAGM / ACMG guide per group of 4 guests.
• A-Star B2 Helicopter to service up to 3 groups.
• The latest avalanche safety equipment and training including; Avalanche Airbag backpack, avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe.
• Provision of the latest ski equipment.
• Twin share accommodation with shared shower and toilets.
• All meals, snacks, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages (a small selection of wine and beer) are included. Please bring your choice of hard liquor. Liquor can be purchase in Smithers prior to your arrival at Base Camp.
• Wireless internet.
• Scheduled van shuttles from Smithers Airport or Hudsons Bay Lodge to Bear Claw Lodge and helicopter transfer to Basecamp and return.
• Price: please see calendar page.
• Extra vertical: $149.00 per 1000 vertical meters.
• (All prices INCLUDE the new Canadian government GST tax).
Arrival and Departure Schedules:
Each week will operate from Friday A.M. arrival to Wednesday A.M. departure.
• You need to arrive a day early in Smithers B.C. The best flight option is the evening flight from Vancouver to Smithers direct. We recommend staying in the Hudson Bay Lodge on your arrival and departure night. Please let us know if you would like us to organize hotel accommodations for you.
• 08:00 AM pick up in Smithers, either at the Hudson Bay Lodge.
• The transfer to the staging area is approximately a 1 hr 40 min hour drive by van, arriving at the staging location at approx. 10:00.
• Transfer to Base Camp from the staging location is approximately a 12 minute heli fight.
• Upon arrival at Base Camp, groups will go though Release of Liability waivers, camp orientation, helicopter and snow safety briefings.
• After lunch, if time and weather permits, groups will head out for the afternoon.
• Departure time from Base Camp is approx 09:45
• Guests will then be shuttled via the helicopter back to the staging location. Groups will then be taken by van shuttle back to Smithers: Approximate arrival in Smithers at 14:00.
• Guests can either be dropped off at the Airport or, if they wish to stay in Smithers, at their accommodation.